Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has outlined policy priorities for Immigration. Minister Sean Fraser as part of a new set of mandate letters following the recent Liberal election victory.
The highlights of the mandate letter are:
On economic immigration:
- Continue bringing in newcomers into Canada, as laid down in the 2021-2023 Immigration Levels Plan.
- Through Express Entry, expand pathways to permanent residence for international students and temporary foreign workers.
- By expanding the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot, developing the Municipal Nominee Program, and making the Atlantic Immigration Pilot permanent, immigration can be increased to smaller communities.
On temporary workers:
- Aid in establishment of a trusted employer system for Canadian companies hiring temporary foreign workers
- Enhancing the Global Talent Stream by simplifying renewals of work permits, ensuring two-week processing, and establishing an employer hotline.
- Explore more ways to regularize the status of undocumented workers contributing to Canadian communities.
On processing times:
- Streamline and reduce application processing times, including delays associated with COVID-19.
On family reunification:
- Introducing electronic applications.
- Spouses and children abroad may be granted temporary resident status while immigration applications are being processed.
- Making the application process free for citizenship.
Canada hit a historic record in the 2021 Levels Immigration Plan Goal by welcoming over 401,000 new permanent residents. This is the highest number to ever come to Canada in a single year.
If you are looking to Work, Study, Visit, or Migrate to Canada, talk to Adventure Immigration, one of the leading immigration consultancy in Canada.